Like everyone, I get quite a few promotional emails but only read a small percentage of them. Obviously the subject line is a critical component of what I decide to open. Besides my own biases, I poked around the net and came up with a few guidelines for writing effective subject lines:
- Short (50 characters or preferably less)
- DON’T SOUND SALESY! (AVOID ALL CAPS, TYPOS, AND !!!!)
- Avoid these words: Help, Percent off, and Reminder
- State what the email is about, don’t try and sell, and use benefits of the product / service.
- Asking questions where the answer is “yes” can be effective
- A/B test to create your own rules for your own audience
More information here.